At Commercial Safety College, we offer a unique perspective on training people to use heavy equipment. We teach our heavy equipment operator program in separated modules. What this means, is that we teach complete courses in Excavator, Loader, Backhoe, and Dozer. Our program is taught in an active aggregate pit which allows us to simulate a true working environment.
Upcoming Start Dates: (2021) January 4, January 18, February 16, March 8, March 29, April 12, May 10
Our Heavy Equipment Operator program includes all four pieces of equipment:
- Excavator Operator (4 weeks – 160 hrs)
- Dozer Operator (3 weeks – 120 hrs)
- Backhoe Operator (3 weeks – 120 hrs)
- Loader Operator (2 weeks – 80 hrs)
Our program is taught with a focus on “hands on” learning. The program includes:
- Pre-Operating Inspection Procedures
- Mechanical Classes
- Environmental Concerns & Regulations
- Float Loading & Load Security
- Use of Controls & Operation – Specific to Each Piece of Equipment
- Practical Skills and Exercises – Specific to Each Piece of Equipment
- Pass/Provide a Nova Scotia Medical
- Be Physically Able to Operate Equipment
- Minimum Grade 8 Education
- Be 18 Years of Age (some exceptions available)
- A Class 5 License is recommended, but not essential
Upon successful completion of the full 12 week program, students receive certification as an entry level operator (480 hours).
Program Cost: $15,000.00
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the start dates listed in the Course Information Booklet have changed.